Apple’s iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 are launching officially on September 20th, 2021, however you’ll be able to check them within the public beta proper now when you’re keen to threat encountering potential bugs. Right here, we stroll you thru the steps for putting in the software program. It’s an analogous course of for the iPhone and iPad, however we’ve made separate sections for every OS.
As anticipated, Apple introduced the discharge date at its September occasion, the place it also showed off the new iPhone 13, iPad Mini with USB-C charging, and more.
Earlier than we get began, right here’s the standard phrase of warning about putting in unfinished beta software program: these releases could seem steady for basic use, however they may comprise some bugs. Your expertise might differ from others relying on the apps you employ. And at last, when you do determine to put in, I counsel backing up your gadget’s knowledge, in case issues go badly.
What are the brand new options that include iOS 15?
Some new features coming to iOS 15 embrace updates to FaceTime, Messages, notifications, privateness controls, and way more. For instance, FaceTime will assist spatial audio and replicate the speaker’s location on-screen, with a brand new voice isolation means that may take away background noise. Different adjustments for FaceTime embrace the power to share music and movies throughout calls and to ask Android customers to a FaceTime name with a shareable hyperlink.
SharePlay, which is able to permit individuals to get pleasure from streaming leisure collectively on the identical time, was one in all iOS 15’s most anticipated options, however Apple recently decided that it won’t arrive within the closing model of iOS 15 launching on September twentieth. As a substitute, it’ll arrive later in fall 2021.
What units are supported for iOS 15?
Right here’s the listing:
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Professional, iPhone 12 Professional Max
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Professional, iPhone 11 Professional Max
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max
- iPhone X, iPhone XR
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus
- iPhone SE (first and second technology)
- iPod Contact (seventh technology)
How one can set up the iOS 15 beta
- Head to Apple’s beta software portal out of your cellphone’s Safari browser and comply with sign up together with your Apple ID.
- Choose “Enroll Your Units” inside the drop-down menu on the prime proper of the webpage, if it robotically doesn’t route you there.
- Choose “iOS,” which is the left-most choice on the subsequent web page. Doing so will reveal a reminder to just be sure you’ve despatched a backup of your cellphone’s content material to your macOS laptop, in case you should revert to a earlier state.
- Scroll down till you discover a button that claims “Obtain profile,” then faucet on it. It will carry up a warning that claims the web site is making an attempt to obtain a configuration profile. Choose “Permit.” You’ll get a pop-up window that claims you’ll be able to set the brand new profile from the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app. A brand new part referred to as “Profile Downloaded” ought to be added close to the highest. Choose it, and also you’ll have entry to the beta software program obtain. It’s possible you’ll have to restart your cellphone for the profile to activate.
- Congrats, you probably did it!
What are the brand new options that include iPadOS 15?
This 12 months’s model of iPadOS makes the house display extra customizable, and it makes split-screen multitasking simpler. The App Library function launched final 12 months in iOS 14 has made its strategy to this new iPad software program. Moreover, most of the options that Apple is bringing to iOS 15 are additionally coming to the pill lineup, together with extra spatial audio for FaceTime, portrait mode, and SharePlay, which helps you to watch TV or hearken to music with others who’re on the decision. Chris Welch wrote all about the new features here, together with a bit on how iPadOS 15 “punts for an additional 12 months on ‘professional’ requests,” delivering options that can attraction extra typically to individuals as a substitute of ones for pro-level customers.
What units are supported for iPadOS 15?
Right here’s the listing:
- iPad Professional 12.9-inch (first by means of fifth technology)
- iPad Professional 11-inch (first by means of third technology)
- iPad Professional 10.5-inch
- iPad Professional 9.7-inch
- iPad (fifth by means of eighth technology)
- iPad Mini (fourth and fifth technology)
- iPad Air (second by means of fourth technology)
How one can obtain the iPadOS 15 beta
- Head to Apple’s beta software portal out of your iPad’s Safari browser.
- Click on “Enroll Your Units” on the prime of the webpage (chances are you’ll have to scroll horizontally to seek out it).
- Click on “iPadOS,” which is the choice that’s second from the left on the subsequent web page. Doing so will reveal a reminder to first make a backup in your macOS laptop in case you should revert your OS to a earlier state.
- Scroll down till you discover a button that claims “Obtain profile,” then choose it. This may occasionally carry up a warning that claims the web site is making an attempt to obtain a configuration profile. Choose “Permit.” You’ll get a pop-up window that claims you’ll be able to set the brand new profile from the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app, and a brand new part referred to as “Profile Downloaded” ought to be added close to the highest. Choose it, and you must have entry to the beta software program obtain. You may have to restart your iPad first.
- Lastly, if nothing prompts you to get began with the obtain, open the Settings app, head to Basic, then discover “Software program Replace” to put in the beta software program.
Replace September fifteenth, 2021, 2PM ET: This text was initially revealed on June thirtieth, 2021, and has been up to date so as to add new details about iOS 15 and iPadOS 15.